Celebrity advice

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Aug 27 18:07:47 EDT 2003

Lulu writes -
]
>ESR's "arguments" boil down to: (1) Wow, isn't it fun hearing guns make
>a loud bang; (2) Oh yeah, be careful not to point them at people by
>accident; (3) This bunch of invented history kinda-sorta supports my
>nutsiness, if you squint and don't think about it too hard; (4) Did I
>mention that I like to hear loud bangs?

Eric Raymeond at http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/

""There are some books so bad, but so plausible and influential, that
periodically trashing them in public is almost an obligation. The really
classic stinkeroos of this kind, like Karl Marx's Das Kapital, exert a weird
kind of seduction on otherwise intelligent people long after their factual
basis has been completely exploded."""

I gotta go with with Eric on this.

Lulu can correct me if I am wrong, but links from Lulu's site has led me to
understand him to be an avowed "otherwise intelligent person".

We all knew this kind of discussion would lead to no good.  Even to my own
eventual involvment. But the rule I had set to myself, would be to comment
only upon Lulu's comment, and only if that comment was something other than
to the effect that one's politics might be irrelevent here, and that the
advice to a new programmer to eschew Raymond because of his was .. bad
advice.

That being *my* comment.

Art