dist problem on osx

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Tue Aug 12 11:51:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, 12 August, 2003, at 17:26, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> This is a bug in distutils. It's fixed in Python 2.2.3.
>> The two architectures are not a bug in distutils, but a bug in the
>> way Apple build python. The '-arch i386' is annoying but harmless, if
>> it really annoys you you can change
>> /usr/lib/python2.2/config/Makefile. Search for '-arch i386' and
>> remove this.
>
> I was referring to the spaces in the platform string generated
> by distutils.

I thought so, but wanted to make it clear that only one of the items
was really a bug. Sorry about the confusion.

> The -arch i386 look funny in there... hmm, perhaps
> we'll get Mac OS X / i386 sometime soon ?! ;-)

There are persistant rumors that Apple is running MacOS X on Intel in a
secret lab. This is probably just caused by someone that is running
Darwin on PPC and Intel. Attacking MS head-on on it's hometurf would
not be the smartest survival stragegy for Apple :-)

Ronald