learning to program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 28 16:50:13 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:36:08 +0200, "U. N. Owen"
<electricity at uymail.com> wrote:
> Not TCI but TCL... It's another script language,
> but it's not installed with Python. Here it
> was just an example, so you don't need it for
> the moment. If you are interested, go to
> www.tcl.tk.

That's correct.

But to add a clarifying explanation for why I included Tcl in the
first place, Python up to version 1.5 came with a full Tcl/Tk
installation bundled to enable Tkinter. After 1.6 they only
shipped the libraries so the tutorial suggestion to play with Tcl
suddenly became invalid :-(

Tcl is still a fun language with many interesting concepts but
I wouldn't recommend an absolute beginner to use it if it's not
already available.

Alan G.

Author of the Learn to Program website