crazy programming language thoughts

Sean Ross sross at connectmail.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 21 21:35:18 EDT 2003

"Ryan Lowe" <ryanlowe0 at msn.com> wrote in message
news:gDd1b.147992$_R5.55948990 at news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> i just want to say that i know i saw a similar idea in another language, a
> few years ago, but damned if i remember where or what language. i guess
the
> language didnt make it:( but if anyone knows a language like this, PLEASE
> let me know.

Hi.
This may not be the language you're trying to recall but it is a language
that uses English syntax: "AppleScript"

Check it out here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/index.html

Unfortunately, it's only available on the Mac.

I've actually made a language very much like AppleScript. However, before
you get excited, that language was designed for a *very* specific purpose,
and you *cannot* use it for general programming of *any kind*. That being
said, the code is available at:

http://chat.carleton.ca/~sross

It was written in Python using SPARK - extending SPARK's included Python
1.5.2 grammar example. The code is not great: it was written during a course
at which time I was just learning Python, SPARK, and the steps involved in
moving from source to executable. (I don't know if I ever want touch it
again ... ). Anyway, if you're interested, it's there. Maybe you can whip a
toy version of AppleScript. I'd like to (seriously), but I haven't any
time - the fall semester is coming up quickly. Maybe after I've finished
school ...

Hope that helps, and, if you do make a toy AppleScript, please let me know
about it!
Sean