python gripes survey

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Mon Aug 25 07:39:57 EDT 2003

Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 05:41:35PM -0700, Patrick Lioi wrote:
>
> > foo = [yield i*i for i in xrange(100)]
>
> I also think that this would be a nice thing to have.  I think that one
> barrier to it was the lack of an implementation.  I don't remember what
> other objections were recorded in the PEP mentioned in another followup.

For the URL-challeneged :-) ...

BDFL Pronouncements

    Generator comprehensions are REJECTED.  The rationale is that the
    benefits are marginal since generators can already be coded
    directly and the costs are high because implementation and
    maintenance require major efforts with the parser.

( http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0289.html )