Need good example database schema

Mark Carter cartermark46 at ukmail.com
Fri Aug 29 16:58:13 EDT 2003

pobrien at orbtech.com (Patrick K. O'Brien) wrote in message news:<m2ad9sikm3.fsf_-_ at orbtech.com>...

> I'm looking for a good schema to use as an example for an object
> database system.  Something like a books/authors/publishers or
> teachers/students/courses kind of thing.  There are plenty of examples
> of such to be found, especially in the academic literature involving
> object databases, but most of them are pathetic.  It's hard to take a
> schema seriously when it shows MarriedTeacher inheriting from Teacher,
> etc.  I want something that makes proper use of inheritance, has
> classes with reasonable attributes, and does a decent job reflecting
> reality (ie, books can have more than one author, a teacher of one
> course could be a student of another, etc.).  Any suggestions?

I found a link:
http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/oopbad.htm
(and there are others) who suggest that object-oriented databases
aren't a good idea. Tabular databases (and in fact a tabular design
rather than an object-oriented design in general) are more often than
not likely to be a better bet.

But I am of course generalising.