time, calendar, datetime, etc

John Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 4 20:21:22 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1059930907.27623.python-list at python.org>,
 "Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:

> [Dan Bishop]
> > There were no leap years between 10 BC and AD 4, because after Julius
> > Caesar's death, the priests in charge of the calendar mistakenly added
> > leap days every 3 years instead of 4, and this had to be corrected.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect the datetime module to deal with that, though ;-)
>
> Thank you -- some people did <wink>.

One interesting bit of reading about this stuff comes from the nice
folks at
http://www.wundermoosen.com

(in fact, I see they've put out some more calendar white papers,
including "How we figured out the Viking calendar.")

Look under Calendar X for the Viking calendar paper, "The Mayan
Calendar" and some others.

The paper I was thinking of when I started this is around here
somewhere, but I don't immediately see it on the site.  It was referred
to by (shipped with?) Calendar2000.  It includes a good view of when
various countries switched from Julian to Gregorian (and in at least one
case switched back and switched again).

   --John