Tci/basic

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 28 16:58:24 EDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:57:18 -0700, Rich <donot at likespam.com>
wrote:
> I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site, and some
> of the things mentioned are Tci and Basic.

THey are just there for comparison, don;t worry about typing them
in. Just look at them long enough to notice the similarity.

> What prompt do I do this commands from?

If you really really feel you must you should find QBASIC on your
Windows CD. You just copy the exe file to your hard drive and run
it. It brings up a text menu based mouse driven programming
environment.

The Tcl stuff you can download as per a previous post, but again
I don't really recommend this nowadays. (Tcl used to come with
Python, now you only get a DLL)

> I think I am missing something.  I am following the tutorial fine when I use the Python
> Shell, but when it talks about Tci or Basic I get lost.

Just ignore those bits and skip to the Python stuff.

> If it isn't painfully obvious, I am new to the programming world.

That's OK, it's what the tutor is aimed at. Its just that I
personally believe that learning to program is more important
than learning a single language (even Python) so I try to show
how similar they all are by using three... Some may argue that
this is just overly confusing, personally I think the extra
effort is worth it (or at least it was when Tcl and QBASIC were
readily available!)

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website