What's better about Ruby than Python?

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 11:45:37 EDT 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>thread: Python is not trying to be everything. Fair enough. Let Python
>>be Python, let Lisp be Lisp.
>>
>>ie, If someone wants macros, they probably would also like special
>>variables and closures and lexical scope and multi-methods and they may
>>as well get it over with and learn Lisp and stop trying make Python more
>>than it wants to be.
>

> Hear, hear!  Or one you just can't stand the nested-parentheses idea,
> then that's what Dylan was designed for: much the same semantics
> and power as Lisp, including all of the features you mention!, but with
> infix syntax.

But walk a mile in parentheses before ducking them. I hope never to edit
another syntax again. The editor uses them to /show me/ the structure of
the code, mine or anyone else's. No more manually prettying up my code;
control-shift-p does an entire file. And when I am slicing and dicing, I
tend to work in the chunks defined by parens. Under ACL's Emacs-like
editor a double-click selects a whole chunk, or right click duplicates a
whole chunk. Throw in drag and drop along with cut-copy-paste, and I am
safely refactoring (or coding or bugfixing) at a very high level while
the editor takes care of the details. hellasweet.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc