hex(-5) => Futurewarning: ugh, can't we have a better hex than '-'[:n<0]+hex(abs(n)) ??

Freddie oinkfreddie at oinkshlick.oinknet
Sun Aug 17 23:06:16 EDT 2003

"Michael Peuser" <mpeuser at web.de> wrote in news:bhot6f$65j$07$1 at news.t-
online.com:

> "Bengt Richter" <bokr at oz.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:bhomem$jg8$0 at 216.39.172.122...
>> __main__:1: FutureWarning: hex()/oct() of negative int will return a
> signed string in Python 2.4 and up  '0xfffffffb'
>
> [...]
>
> There is a thread from this morning ("bitwise not ...") - this should be an
> excellent contribution!
> I have no mercy with someone writing hex(-5)
>
> Kindly
> Michael P

What about crazy people like myself? If you generate a crc32 value with zib,
you occasionally get a negative number returned. If you try to convert that
to hex (to test against a stored CRC32 value), it spits out a FutureWarning
at me. So you end up with silly things like this in your code:

# Disable FutureWarning, since it whinges about us making bad hex values :(
import warnings
try:
	warnings.filterwarnings(action='ignore', category=FutureWarning)
except NameError:
	del warnings

--
Remove the oinks!