Tkinter programming problem

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory at npl.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 04:48:58 EDT 2003

Could someone help me out with these few lines of code: I would like
to know why the Quit button in this application removes the buttons
and causes "Quitting" to be printed, but does not close the outer
frame.

Andrew.

# Demonstration TK interface Windows application
# Runs ok from within IDLE
#
from Tkinter import *

class CommonStuff:   # to get common access to variables and functions
    def __init__(cself, frame):
        cself.frame = frame

    def say_hi(cself):
        print "Hello all"

class MyWidgets(Frame, CommonStuff):
    def __init__(wself, CS):
        Frame.__init__(wself, CS.frame)
        wself.quitbutton = Button(wself)
        wself.quitbutton["text"] = "Quit"
        wself.quitbutton["fg"]   = "red"
        wself.quitbutton["command"] = wself.destroy

        wself.quitbutton.pack({"side": "left"})

        wself.hi_there = Button(wself)
        wself.hi_there["text"] = "Hello",
        wself.hi_there["command"] = CS.say_hi

        wself.hi_there.pack({"side": "left"})

class Application:
    def __init__(self, master):
        self.frame=Frame(master)
        CS = CommonStuff(self.frame)

        displayedwidget=MyWidgets(CS)
        displayedwidget.grid(row=0, column=0)
        self.frame.grid(row=0, column=0)
        self.frame.columnconfigure(0)
        displayedwidget.bind("<Destroy>", self.quit)
        self.frame.update()

    def quit(self, event):
        print"Quitting..."
        self.frame.destroy  # Destroy frame and all children

root = Tk()
mainWin = Application(root)
root.wait_window(mainWin.frame)