Python should try to displace Java

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Tue Aug 12 00:51:29 EDT 2003

Istvan Albert wrote:
> still trolling eh,
>
> but you try too hard and it shows,

I asked you not to knee-jerk on what I wrote, but you couldn't do it.  So
welcome to my killfile.

I didn't expect emotional idealists to handle it, that's why they're
emotional idealists.  Pragmatic engineers can get on with whether the
strategic analysis has merit or not.  I don't know what your corporate
culture is, sitting in newsgroups plotting the future of a nice open source
langauge.  Maybe you think the whole world runs on volunteerism and good
vibes.  But in the big iron corporate background I come from, people sit
down and have powwows about what the strategic threats are.  You can deny
the existence of strategic threats all you like, and stay in a comfortable
universe of engineering merit.  That will last until... commercial reality
washes over you and your career like a tidal wave.

Do you want to be earning good money on your Python knowledge 10 years from
now?  Then pay attention.  I guarantee you that Microsoft has powwows about
C#, Java, and Python.

20% of the world is real.