py2exe problem

Bror Johansson brjohan at email.com
Thu Aug 14 16:15:00 EDT 2003

Thomas Heller wrote:
> "Bror Johansson" <bror.johansson at saabtech.se> writes:
>
>> When using py2exe to convert a Python program into an executable:
>>
>> Everything works fine when my.py-files reside in a directory on a
>> local disk
>>
>> but
>>
>> after having copied the .py-files to a ClearCase dynamic view
>> located on a server machine and having checked them in, I get this
>> error when executing the file built by py2exe (trace output from
>> execution of py2exe is the same in both cases):
>>
>>     KeyError: Scripts.py2exe\support.py
>>
>> Python 2.2, py2exe-0.3.4, Win"K
>>
>> Any idea, anyone?
>
> I cannot really understand what you're asking, and I don't know what a
> ClearCase dynamic view is.
>
> Hm, maybe an idea: distutils (and thus py2exe) doesn't really work
> if you use absolute pathnames. The script should be in the same
> directory (or a subdirectory, maybe) as the setup.py file, and the
> 'python setup.py py2exe' command should be executed in this directory.
>
> Thomas

ClearCase is a configuration/version management tool
A dynamic view is a mountable view of a specified version of
files/directories. This view is associated with a real directory - on a
server (in my case). It is mounted to drive 'Y:' (in my case)

I did develop my Python-application with the files located in a directory on
a local disk. After execution of 'python setup.py py2exe'  in that directory
everything works fine. (Neither in the setup.py nor in the other .py files
are any pathnames present)

Then I copied all .py files (including the setup.py) from this directory
into a view-directory. In this directory my application works fine when
invoked as 'python myapp.py'. Execution of 'python setup.py py2exe' gives no
warnings or errors (trace output is exactly the same as that from the local
disk execution). When I - after 'cd dist\myapp' executes '.\myapp' I almost
immediately get this message:
'KeyError: Scripts.py2exe\support.py'

Is there a good way to debug the execution of a 'py2exe'-produced
executable?

/BJ