Problem w/ IDLE on Win2000

David Lees abcdebl2nonspammy at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 01:17:19 EDT 2003

Thomas Rivas wrote:
> Unable to launch IDLE(fork?) from the new Py 2.3. Anybody else have this
> problem. Solutions?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Rivas

I think I have the same problem.  When the Win2000 Start menu, 'IDLE'
icon is clicked, the hourglass-wait icon goes on for a second and then
disappears.  I can see a new process startup 'pythonw.exe', but nothing
appears on the screen.

I believe the problem is the same one previously discussed with respect
to Windows XP.  IDLE can not be in a path where any of the directory
names have a space.  Unfortunately, 'program files' has a space in it.
I found that I can start idle up by going directly to the idle
executable which on my pc is under:
'program files\python23\lib\idlelib\idle.exe

Creating a shortcut to IDLE and then placing it on my desktop seems to
work just fine for starting it up.

David Lees