Potentially important real-time on-line discussion

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Aug 1 16:09:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 16:21:38 -0000, claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:

>*The Chronicle of Higher Education*, which is more-or-less
>authoritative for US university administrations, is spon-
>soring a discussion on the place of open-source in
>universities ("... are such choices too risky for colleges
>...?"), starting in about an hour.  Bluntly, I think it's
>time to rally 'round the flag.
>
>http://chronicle.com/colloquylive/2003/08/opensource/chat.php
>
>Pass it on.

That link didn't work for me, but chopping its tail did:

http://chronicle.com/colloquylive/2003/08/opensource/

But it's over ;-)

The guest -- Bernard W. Gleason -- was a proponent of open software, and
answered questions reasonably, I thought.

But I think open source needs a simple metaphor for politicians and non-geeks to understand.

Open source is a digital potluck. The dishes available depend on who volunteers to cook, but
digital dishes don't get used up when they're served, so there's plenty of the best to go around ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter