Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Aug 26 05:03:28 EDT 2003

In article <hgflkvsjpcfj1l0m2affhn74g61mhf6qr6 at 4ax.com>,
Afanasiy  <abelikov72 at hotmail.com> wrote:
			.
>I would also recommend not giving much weight to anything from ESR.
			.
			.
			.
What's going on *there*?  Eric makes plenty of mistakes,
and he's apparently stubborn and biased in many cases; on
the other hand, while I disagree with him profoundly on
some technical choices, and I've been told of all sorts
of personal failings he exhibits, in my experience he's
always been willing to correct errors when presented with
evidence.  So:  are you saying that he simply says too much
and too early, and consequently is unreliable because he's
outside his domain of expertise, or do you perceive a deeper
problem with his advice?

I ask in part because, as near as I can tell, you were the
first to mention him in this thread.  It appears that you
regard his output as particularly hazardous.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net