Help embedding python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 25 13:25:50 EDT 2003

Zora Honey wrote:

> My husband and I are writing a program that does a lot of math behind
> the scenes (c++) with a gui front (python/Tkinter).  We've decided that
> we want the c++ to be the "driver", and so we want to embed the python.

It's a little unclear (to me) exactly what you're trying to do,
but in any case I can't imagine why you'd want to have C++ "drive"
the Python code (if that's what you meant by "driver", as opposed to
the more common sense as in "device driver") instead of the other
way around.

And my inability to imagine why you want this is compounded by your
choice of Python and Tkinter for the front end.  It is much more
common to have the front end be the "driving" code, and the back end
be "driven", especially in CPU-intensive applications as it sounds
like you have here.

-Peter