What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about Ruby over Python?

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Mon Aug 18 14:41:38 EDT 2003

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> What's ***TOTALLY COMPELLING*** about Ruby over Python?  What makes you jump
> up in your chair and scream "Wow!  Ruby has *that*?  That is SO FRICKIN'
> COOL!!!  ***MAN*** that would save me a buttload of work and make my life
> sooooo much easier!"

Code blocks, although I'd rather go to the source and steal them from
Smalltalk.

Python now has most of the parts to implement code blocks, perhaps not
exactly like Smalltalk, but enough to make them useful. What is lacking
is a syntax to be able to create lambdas with multiple statements. And
perhaps a syntax without using the keyword lambda, as some people seem
to have an allergic reaction to it.

Daniel