How do I get a reference to a KEY value of a dictionary?

Andy C ayc8NOSPAM at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 2 06:05:17 EDT 2003

I don't see how I can do this and let me eliminate duplicates.  I need to
assign the old duplicate string to the unique string that already exists.
Hence the question, how do I get a reference to the KEY value?  I know I can
use keys() and do a linear search, but that is much more inefficient.  I
would like to get a reference to the key value in the same time that it
takes to do a hash lookup (constant time).

Basically I would want to rewrite this section of the code I posted:

        nodes = self.nodes
        if nodes.has_key( node2 ):
            node2 = nodes[ node2 ]
        else:
            nodes[ node2 ] = node2

This dictionary seems stupid, I agree.  The keys and values are the same.
But in the first part of the if, I want to reassign node2 to an equivalent
string that already exists.  How can I do that?

The intern solution seems reasonable, and it appears that it was designed
specifically for this problem.  I wasn't aware of the implementation
problems.  But I'm still curious about different ways to do it.

http://www.pythoncraft.com/