learning to program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 28 16:46:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:20:51 -0700, Rich <donot at likespam.com>
wrote:

> During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
> I went to the site and downloaded TCI.  but was unable to do any of
> the tasks.

That tutor is now 5 years old so my recommendation is skip over
the Tcl bits. I am in the process of rewriting it using
Javascript and VBScript instead of Tcl and QBASIC.

> I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
> my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

The Windows DOS prompt, that is the one that looks like

C:\WINDOWS>

> I am using the Tutorial  by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
> simple sequences (left side of page).

OK, If you have any specific things about the tutorial (eg
something seems broken) send them to me via the mailto link at
the bottom opf each web page. Any general quesries about Python
send here or to the Python tutor mailing list where more eyes
ensure a faster response.

Finally, you can still read the Tcl and BASIC sections if you
like, they are really there to make the point that the basic
concepts of programming apply equally to anyt language, once you
learn one (Python say) you can learn most others very quickly.

Alan g
Author of the Learn to Program website