Newbie: explanation of PrivoxyWindowOpen; website docs outdated?

Richard Michael rmichael at NOfields.SPAMutoronto.ca
Mon Aug 18 22:25:12 EDT 2003

Joe Francia wrote:
> Richard Michael wrote:
>  > I've been reading the Python docs, and the 6.1.3 File Objects section of
>
>> the Library Reference indicates that instead of "open()", I should use
>> the builtin function "PrivoxyWindowOpen()" instead.
>

> As you suspected, this has nothing to do with Python or the Python.org
> website - it is Privoxy replacing all instances of open() with
> PrivoxyWindowOpen() to squash pop-up advertisements and such.  Just add
> .python.org to your whitelist and you'll be OK.  (browse to
> http://config.privoxy.org/ to bring up the configuration page).
>
> jf

Oh my dear.  Now this is an embarassing situation.  Well, I guess I've
gotta laugh. :)

I didn't realize Privoxy would do this.  I guess context handling by
Privoxy would be lots of work.  It also why explains why
'PrivoxyWindowOpen()' didn't turn up in any newsgroups or in the local
documentation!  (I don't think I was ever viewing the copies of
identical document both locally and online for comparison.)

A bit sad that I didn't think this could have actually been realtime
interference by Privoxy!  :(

Thanks Joe.

Richard