GUI builder for Python

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 04:12:25 EDT 2003

Michael Peuser wrote:
> There are some commercial GUI Builders out of the normal budget.

By the way, I hear that PythonWorks is "out of development" but they're
still selling licenses to existing customers only.  I wonder if there is
any chance the Tkinter GUI builder that came with it may be freed...

> Free ones are Black Adder for Qt, BoaConstructor for wx and some stuff
> like PAGE or SpecTIX for TIX.

BlackAdder isn't free -- it's cheap but still commercial.  If and only
if you're under the conditions for using the GPL license for Qt &c --
basically if you're developing GPL for free operating systems, I think
that's a fair summary -- you can use Trolltech's own QtDesigner and
then pyuic to generate Python from the resulting XML file (that's more
or less what BlackAdder does nowadays, though in a more integrated way:
it uses an external QtDesigner rather than trying to "embed" it as it
once did in earlier versions).

Alex