OT: Americans love their guns

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Aug 28 02:12:34 EDT 2003

Tom Plunket <tomas at fancy.org> wrote previously:
|Ironically the states with the loosest gun laws also have the
|least crime.

Almost exactly opposite to the truth.  Check the FBI uniform crime
statistics.  Although the pattern is not 100% reliable, there is a
strong correlation between lax gun laws and gun-related deaths.

|Remember that automobiles kill something like 100x the number of
|people in the US every year over guns.

USA automobile deaths are ^43k/year
USA gun-related deaths are ~29k/year

The first number is bigger, yes.... but nothing at all like 100x as
large.

Pulling facts out of thin air (or equivalently, our of NRA leaflets or
ESR's writing) is unpersuasive.

Yours, Lulu...

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r