Path Problem on W2K?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:20:52 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in
news:3F41FECA.6743B6BD at engcorp.com:

>> Alternatively create doskey macros for commands like that then you just
>> need one file with a load of macro definitions.
>
> Does that let you execute them from other batch files?  I
> have a few dozen utilities which run Python scripts by executing
> "call python scriptname.py" somewhere, relying on a .bat file
> in the PATH.  Does the DOSKEY approach work similarly?

No, DOSKEY just affects what you type, you would have to write the commands
out in full in a batch file.

If you are running a lot of Python scripts from the command prompt or batch
files, consider adding .py to the PATHEXT environment variable, that will
let you run scripts directly, e.g. "scriptname" instead of "python
scriptname.py", and will search PATH for the scripts. (However be aware
that redirecting doesn't work on most versions of windows for scripts
invoked this way!)