very newbie question

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Sat Aug 2 15:51:34 EDT 2003

Agent Mulder wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I wonder if I can do Windows programming
> in python. I work with c++ now and do the
> Windows part raw. It's difficult to get my app
> over 150K (need some heavy inlining, that's all).
> Does python support nitty-gritty Windows-
> programming?

The win32 extensions have support for a lot of the win32 API. Your app's
download size will be considerably larger, however, if you always
distribute the full Python interpreter and win32 extensions with your app.

But

1) Download size is not very important

2) If you're really concerned about download size I have a project named
"PyhtonRuntime" in planning/proof-of-concept stage. The point of this is
that if you have n apps that depend on Python the Python runtime will
only be downloaded once. It also includes a dead simple package system
and it's win32 only.

-- Gerhard