Python vs. C#

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Tue Aug 12 05:41:56 EDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:27:26AM -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Good to hear that some people understand what it means when Microsoft puts
> 100% of the company behind something.  Remember, last time around we got IE
> and Netscape vanished.

When was that?

I'm happily running Mozilla as my web browser, and have been for well over a
year now.  I'm hardly alone in this.

Sure, Netscape-the-company might be effectively dead, but I don't care about
that.  Their software, on the other hand, is still alive, improving, and
gaining market-share (according to some reports, at least).  And it's
software we're talking about here -- we're discussing programming languages,
after all.  To point out that Microsoft effectively killed a particular
company while that company's software is thriving seems like a misleading
misdirection of the discussion, to me...

After all, if MS collapsed tomorrow, but C# looked to have a vibrant
community and industry support behind it keeping it developing, would ditch
it just because MS was dead?

-Andrew.