class factory

Nick Keighley nick.keighley at marconi.com
Wed Aug 20 04:15:44 EDT 2003

Hi,

I'm a Python beginner and I'm would like to write a function that
returns a class (perhaps a tad ambitious...). I've looked through
the FAQ and perused "Python In  A Nutshell" (not a good book to
start with?). The only example I found in PiaN used a simple
if statement to return one of a selection of pre-existing classes.
I'd like to generate a class on-the-fly from a parameter (a dictionary).
Can Python do this sort of stuff? Does the mean I have to mess with
the dreaded meta-classes?

thanks for any help anyone can give.

--
Nick Keighley

It's always September. But sometimes it is _more_ September.