Celebrity advice (was: Advice to a Junior in High School?)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:58:49 EDT 2003

"Colin J. Williams" <cjw at sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:jKl3b.9017$nw3.311231 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> We seem to be straying from Python and/or advice to a you[ng]
person, but
> the third paragraph [of me] is clearly nonsense.
>
> To give an example.  In Canada, over the next year or more, the
Members
> of Parliament and the Senators will have to make a choice as to
whether
> gay marriage is to continue in this country.  No threat of force
exists.
> A decision will be made and the populace will accept it as being
more or
> less democratic.

If the decision is a 'resolution', like the US Congress declaring some
week to be 'National Python Week' or whatever*, then your are right.
However, the whole purpose of the US movement to enact gay marriage
'laws' is precisely to *enforce* what will be for some new, different,
and possibly morally repugnant (to the people 'enforced') behaviors.
Alex M. gave just one example (hospitals)**.

Terry J. Reedy

* I sometimes wonder about the relative cost of getting a Day versus a
Week, Month, or Year resolution ;-)

** Further off-topic opinions: keeping intimates apart when sick is
cruel; there are nonviolent ways to change old practices; gays are
short-sighted to ignore the costs of bringing government violence
threats into their relationships.