problem updating(run) to python2.2

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Aug 9 09:54:42 EDT 2003

Peter van Kampen <news at datatailors.xs4all.nl> writes:

> In article <3F341829.3050002 at softnet.tuc.gr>, grid wrote:
> > i have Debian,
> > i have python2.1 and when installing python2.2, i run "$/python ",but pc
> > run's python2.1.How can i overcome this problem?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> $python2.2
>
> (on woody)

/usr/bin/python on Debian is a link to the latest version of Python
installed from a .deb.  IIRC, the .debs makes a soft link from
/usr/bin/python, and the Python source tarball makes a hard link
/usr/local/bin/python.

So if you want 'python' to mean something different, you could just rm
/usr/bin/python, then re-link to whichever version you want to run.
Watch out -- /usr/local/bin may be ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH, and
if you installed your 2.2 from the Python source tarball rather than a
.deb, you may have a /usr/local/bin/python too.

ls -i is useful to tell if two files are really hard links to the same
underlying file.  ls -l on my system shows the target of soft links.

John