simple text parser?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Sun Aug 17 06:59:22 EDT 2003

Michael Peuser wrote:
> This is a little bit confusing.
> (1) Do you want to dump "internal" data? Of course you cannnot expect
> those data to be portabel between Python and C#!!!

I don't want portability between Python and C#.  They are completely
separate projects.

> (2) Do you have your data already converted to some standard ASCII
> format? Then just write it into a textfile!

No it is not already converted.  I have to decide on formatting for my own
custom data.

> (3) Do you have a very special structure in mind to be serialized
> (i.e. list of string - integer tuples; an "array of structs of a row
> of char and an int" as you would say in C ;-))? Then you probably
> should store it in XML. Lots of tools with Python, probably as many
> in C#

XML looks like peanut butter in the mouth.  Too much complexity,
inappropriate.  The game data is fairly simple but not completely trivial.
I asked about XML in another newsgroup.  People said that might be wise if
*others* need to *read* my data, but they don't.  I just need a save file
format.

20% of the world is real.