another puzzled newbie

Elaine Jackson elainejackson7355 at home.com
Thu Aug 28 21:52:55 EDT 2003

"Chad Netzer" <cnetzer at sonic.net> wrote in message

<snip>
| > def singlePass(shuffler,preshuffled,postshuffled):
| >     postshuffled+=[preshuffled[shuffler[0]]
|                                              ^
| You forgot a ']' at the end of the line

Right. How embarassing. Thank you.

<snip>
| You don't need the '(' and ')' here.  del is a keyword, not a function.

Can't it be both? Could you explain why it fails to be a function?

<snip>
| >     for i in range(len(shuffler)):
| >         shuffler[i]+=(-1)
|                        ^^^^
| If you want a tuple here, it should be (-1,).  It needs the comma.
| But, since shuffler is a list, you probably really want [-1].

No, I want (-1) the integer. My problem is that I really dislike the appearance
of a statement like X-=Y. (Even right now I can barely stand writing it.) So I
wrote X+=(-Y) instead. Maybe it would look better as shuffler=map(lambda n: n-1,
shuffler)?

Thanks again, and muchas gracias to the other respondents as well.

Peace,
EJ