Serial port number limitations?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Aug 13 11:16:11 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1060783523.26832.python-list at python.org>, M.Williams at EU.HNS.COM wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the port number (PC
> COM port under windows) that Python recognises?

Not that I'm aware of.  I've used it with up to 128 serial ports.

> I have developed and tested a simple aplication to 'ping'
> itself (using a loop-back connector) which works perfectly OK
> on normal PC ports, but fails abysmally on 16 port interface.

Can you elaborate on "fails abysmally"?

> Alternatively, perhaps it expects HEX?

Not sure what you're asking.  What's "it" and what do you mean
by "HEX"?

> I have found no clues in Serial.py

I've always used the straight Win32 calls, but other's I've
talked to have used Serial.py w/o problems.

[ditch the HTML stuff, please]

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Join the PLUMBER'S
                                  at               UNION!!