serial, parallel and USB port

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 7 13:56:37 EDT 2003

Stéphane Nufer wrote:

> Why are there no module to access serial, parallel or USB port in python.
> This could be great to build front end software to control electronic
> device or even automaton in industrial process ( or maybe I should ask why
> the existing third party modules such as pyserial have not been integrated
> in the official release)

The third party modules are relatively immature, and I believe may not
yet be full-featured enough to consider for inclusion, "batteries included"
or not.  Nevertheless, downloading and using PySerial is very easy,
so it's not really a big problem for anyone doing this to get it working.

There is also the cross-platform thing to consider...

-Peter