Py2.3: Feedback on Sets

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 18 09:36:56 EDT 2003

Carl Banks <imbosol at aerojockey.com> writes:

> Well, if overloading + and * to represent a non-field or non-ring is
> misguided, then + and * for lists and strings is also misguided,
> since they don't define a field or ring either.

Yup!  Well, *, anyway.  I'd prefer a Haskell-style ++ for
concatenation, but + isn't totally silly (strings and lists are
monoids, at least :-).  list * int, OTOH, seems a bit smelly to me
(though I'm not sure what a better spelling would be...).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ... Windows proponents tell you that it will solve things that
  your Unix system people keep telling you are hard.  The Unix