Unification of logging in Python's Standard Library

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Aug 19 11:06:26 EDT 2003

    Matthew> With the inclusion of the new 'logging' module in Python 2.3,
    Matthew> I'm wondering whether there are plans to update the rest of the
    Matthew> Standard Library to use this module wherever there is logging
    Matthew> to be done.
    Matthew> A single, unified logging system across the entire Python
    Matthew> Standard Library would be a worthy goal for some future release
    Matthew> (Python 3000, or maybe even 2.4/2.5?).

Rather than bring it up on python-dev as Alex suggested (I think it might
get lost there as well), I think you should open a bug report on SF which
identifies the problem and which modules you think need to be updated.  This
provides a record of how people think this task should be approached.  As
time goes on, patches for specific modules can be attached to the report and
incorporated into the modules in question.

Another alternative is to write a PEP, though I don't think this is
necessarily required for this particular task.  It also presents a higher
barrier to action than a bug report.

Skip