Brandon's abrasive style (was Re: What's better about Ruby than Python?)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Aug 21 03:25:07 EDT 2003

Ramon Leon Fournier wrote:

> Brandon J. Van Every <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote:
>> - Python is not a good language for low-level 3D graphics problems.  C++
>> is better.
>
> Well, not just for low-level 3D graphics. There are many other things
> you would not code in Python unless you are a complete fool. Your
> companies mail server, for instance. But you wouldn't do that in C#

I deeply disagree: Twisted, coded in Python, lets you do a GREAT job
coding such applications as mail servers -- highly scalable, etc etc.
And even without Twisted, Python is splendid for such I/O bound jobs.

> Granted that my motivation to use Python is different from that of many
> others here. I have work to do, and to finish it as quickly as
> possible. I figured that Python is a great language for people like me,

I think that's the TYPICAL motivation for using Python: it lets you do
your job with great productivity.

> BTW: What exactly has "Smell the Windows" to do with the current Ruby
> vs. Python debate? Are you actually serious about learning any of

I dunno: back when I checked carefully, Python was MUCH better integrated
with Windows, thanks to win32all etc etc, while Ruby perched precariously
on cygwin &c.  A Windows-centric view would thus appear to favour Python
over Ruby (unless Ruby's Windows implementation has made great strides).

Alex