urllib(2) and https blues? try pytunnel for python tunnelling

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at netmemetic.com
Fri Aug 1 04:08:45 EDT 2003

According to john <pyguy30 at yahoo.com>:
> The python libraries like urllib and httplib do not support ssl
> through a proxy.
> Urllib2 supports http through a proxy or https alone, but not https
> through a proxy.

M2Crypto's contrib/ contains an isaac.httpslib.py, with the following
blurb:

  This is Isaac Salzberg's application of Mihai Ibanescu's patch
  (available on SF) that allows HTTPS tunneling through an
  authenticating proxy.

  This one's a double whammy: it works with IIS through the
  authenticating proxy, whereas the one on SF, which uses Python's
  built-in SSL, doesn't.

  This code is not folded into the main distribution because:

  1. Apparently Mihai is still working on it.
  2. Mihai uses Python's built-in SSL. Isaac patched it to use
     M2Crypto.SSL. The stuff is essentially #ifdef'ed code.
  3. I don't have an authenticating proxy nor an IIS server to test
     against, so I can't clean up the code. Volunteers welcome. ;-)

  Thanks Isaac.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes