What's better about Ruby than Python?

Graham Fawcett fawcett at teksavvy.com
Mon Aug 18 04:24:06 EDT 2003

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>Graham Fawcett wrote:
>

>>Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>>

>>>What's better about Ruby than Python?
>>>

>>You're never going to get an answer to this question that satisfies
>>you. Even if everyone chips in and describes their favourite
>>features, those features may be worthless to you personally. So why
>>bother asking?
>>

>You assume too much.  My attitudes and criteria aren't yours.  I ask because
>it's useful to me, not because it's useful to you.

Fair enough. I can only encourage you, in the spirit of collegiality and
goodwill, to emphasise among your attitudes the attitude of personal
research.

For the sake of brevity (not mine alone, but of this thread), let me add
that this point has been previously discussed. A Google Groups search
for "ruby vs. python group:comp.lang.python.*" returns over 250
themselves, here's a link:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=ruby+vs.+python+group%3Acomp.lang.python.*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Notably, see:

  http://tinyurl.com/kc1u

In this particular thread, from December 2002, Lyle Johnson points out
"This has been discussed to death in the past and so you should be able
to dig up a lot of information with your search engine of choice."
History does indeed repeat itself!

A more salient discussion on this list -- not just for you, Brandon, but
for everyone -- might entail a review and updating of these older
threads (what's changed in Python and Ruby since Dec 2002?), rather than
a banal rehashing of it. But of course, our criteria vary. ;-)

Yours,

-- Graham