Version Problem

Thorsten Bischoff t.bischoff at tu-bs.de
Thu Aug 7 04:34:47 EDT 2003

Hi all!

I have created a python extension module written in C. Now when the last
release change took place, the module produces import errors under windows
and some warnings under linux. As far as I understand the C to Python API
has changed and so the module has to be relinked. But there I see a
problem: If I have to relink and recompile my module every time there is a
new python release, there will be no time left to do the very important
things.

Which is the recommanded way to deal with different python versions and
extension modules? I'm looking for some easy-to-use method, preventing me
from maintaining my module for different python versions and which gives
the user the most flexibillity. That means I do not want either to enjoin
on the user which python version to use
nor to maintain many different versions of my module.

Besides: Does anybody know a good method for GNU autoconf to check which
python version is installed?

Yours,
Thorsten