Comments on my "Python Introduction" slides

Bryan belred1 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 25 23:38:30 EDT 2003

i always seem to prefer using

if key in dictionary:
rather than
if dictionary.has_key(key):

i also seem to prefer using

for line in file(fname):
rather than
for line in open(fname).readlines()

not sure it's any better, faster, more readable... just my preference.  so your frame 7 would be:

def unique(fname):
   '''Prints unique lines in fname'''
    h = {}
    for line in file(fname):
        line = line.strip()
        if line not in h:
            h[line] = True
            print line

---

frame 8:  you should also list empty tuple, list and dict as having a False value too)
frame 9:  needs a note that it's for 2.3+
frame 10: IMO "Magic methods" has a negative connotation.  but maybe it's the correct terminology
frame 12: i know python has a c interface for c extension modules, but can't modules also be written is c++ (ie. boost?)
frame 18-19: i would show the exact same example in each.  it appears from your slide that wxPython is way more complicated than TK

i enjoyed going though it... nice work...

bryan