Py2.3: Feedback on Sets

Gary Feldman gafStopSpamData at ziplink.stopallspam.net
Mon Aug 18 13:01:05 EDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:07:18 -0500, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>    Skip> That's a documentation bug then.
>
>See the patch I just submitted at
>
>    http://python.org/sf/788509

I appreciate your doing this, and my next step (while I wait for answers to
my recently posted question) is to get into the bug system.

But in thinking about this, I'm still unconvinced about the original
wording.  It says "... elements obtained from iteration."  Iteration, in
this context, is still an abstract concept.  It describes the how.  But as
you've already pointed out, the how is implicit in the name of the
argument.  Just from a grammatical/semantic point of view, it ought to
describe the what, i.e. "... elements obtained from this parameter," though
"... updates the set by iterating over this parameter" works, too.

In other words, I find it easier to infer that iteration is being used than
to infer the source of iteration.

Many thanks, especially for the patience being shown,

Gary