Freeze Question

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Aug 7 13:09:17 EDT 2003

    Dave> I'm to the point where two modules are not found by freeze:

    Dave> Warning:  unknown modules remain:  pcre strop

    Dave> There is no mention of these in my Modules/Setup file.  Any
    Dave> suggestions.

I think you can probably omit both, though if freeze is figuring things out
for you automagically, you may need to tweak Lib/string.py and Lib/re.py to
dispense with them.  The strop module is an extension module which used to
be used to speed up the string module.  With string methods it's no longer
needed.  It's in Modules/stropmodule.c.  Pcre is pretty kaput as well.  That
was the first incarnation of Perl-compatible regular expressions, since
replaced by the new sre module.  It's in Modules/pcremodule.c.  I suspect
Modules/pypcre.c is part of the mix as well.

Skip