How do I get a reference to a KEY value of a dictionary?

Andy C ayc8NOSPAM at cornell.edu
Fri Aug 1 02:30:53 EDT 2003

Thanks, I think that is exactly what I'm looking for.  I guess if you do a =
intern(a), then if a is equivalent but not identical to something in the
global string table, it will assign a to reference the object in the global
string table, and thus the old "a" value can be garbage collected.

Well, for a C/C++ programmer, they ARE references, and I can't imagine
thinking otherwise.  They are implemented as references/pointers in the
interpreter.  Thinking in value semantics can simplify things, but there
will always be some cases where it doesn't work.

I think my example is a good one.  If you have a graph in an adjacency list
representation, you don't want the nodes to be copies of each other.  They
should just point to a global list of nodes.  This can definitely matter...
the worst case is when you have a complete graph, where you would have
n(n-1)/2 (or n(n-1) for a complete directed graph) node objects where you
only need n.  Instead of 100,000 nodes (not an unreasonable size), you could
have 10 billion (totally unreasonable).

But it is a good question whether the garbage collection will make the
difference worth it, in most cases.  I could reassign my references, but I
don't know when the old objects get deleted.  That is, I can do a =
intern(a), but the old value of a could hang around in memory for who knows
how long.  If anyone could shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

news:Qf-cnYqDQejEJbSiXTWJjw at comcast.com...