Slogan: Getting Rich Overnight

dan danbmil99 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 01:05:10 EDT 2003

Great post!  Yes, I felt the same way when I first saw the language.
It's funny because I had a company and we bought a company, and they
said they were using Python as their scripting language, but we had to
close that division and I never really saw it.

Then much later, I had a project that needed something with a clear
syntax, more like english than C++.  I fiddled with Python and fell in
love.  I haven't felt this way since I learned Basic in 7th grade (I
know Basic sucks now, but then there was nothing else), or when I did
my first assembly programming, or fiddled with Lisp and Forth.  I
never felt that way with C/C++, I have always felt like I was climbing
uphill.

When I first saw the indentation-critical, bracket-less syntax, it was
like "Oh my god, how many years have I wasted trying to see where the
braces correspond?"

Many years ago I had an idea for a similar syntax, but I never pursued
it.  Now I don't have to, it is right there for me!  This may sound
silly, but since using Python, I have felt this wierd sense of
liberation -- like my decision to become a programmer finally has
meaning.  I work for 2 or 3 hours, and I have coded so much I have to
stop and think...  With the typical strictly-typed langs popular in
the last 15 years, I never feel productive.  I am at war with the
compiler, the linker, the libraries... it's a fight from beginning to
end.

I have many friends whose brains must be wired differently.  They love
the feeling of control a tough compiler gives them... they believe the
compiler should do all the work for them.  I am just different... I
have always loved dynamic languages.  I just want a thing to be
whatever I want, and if I change my mind, I don't want to
*necessarily* have to make new prototypes, new header files..  I just
want to stick something else in that container, even though I never
thought I would, and I never warned anyone.

It's just -- well, it's freedom to code your own way.  It's the
antidote to code rage.

Just my thoughts, late at night...

Keep up the good work!!