What has been going on?

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 15:28:33 EDT 2003

tjland at iserv.net wrote in message news:<mailman.1061534931.31437.python-list at python.org>...
> Ignore those last two messages accidently sent. Who else has been getting
> messages returned that you didnt send. Mail scanners saying their is a
> virus? The list i think has been infected with the W32/Sobig.f-MM virus,

I've been getting a huge number of these.  Basically a virus is in the
computer of someone who has you in their address book.  It sends out
messages from their computer but forges your address in the header
fields.  So, when that message gets bounced by the recipient's filter,
the error message comes to you, not the true sender.

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking in their last few software
releases.  It's not like they didn't have plenty of warning that this
was coming.  For now, it's going to get worse before it gets better.