Python vs. C#

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Aug 13 00:03:47 EDT 2003

Tom wrote:

> Sorry to be harsh, Mr. Van Avery.

Thing is, I doubt that Van Every is consciously trolling.  He's just
behaving like he always behaves.  It shouldn't be any surprise that he
has had similar exchanges in practically every newsgroup he's ever
visited.  Though I don't think he's consciously trolling, it seems that
practically no one who encounters him randomly on Usenet doesn't
conclude that he's _not_ trolling.  That this drama has repeated itself
over and over again on Usenet everytime he pokes his head into a new
newsgroup should at the very least have raised a red flag in his mind by
now.  But it hasn't.  I wonder why.

However, although I don't think that he would honestly considering
himself trolling, it hardly matters much.  If most people you encounter
think that you're trolling, your protests to the contrary won't convince
them otherwise, and shouldn't.  If it looks like a duck and quacks like
a duck, it starts not to matter if it's really a goose.

> I have a suggestion, though.  I
> think you've chosen the wrong group to play in.  I think you should
> read a book about Lisp (maybe even two) and then share your thoughts
> with the comp.lang.lisp folks.  Lisp is a really neat language (not
> sure but maybe there's a Lisp.NET to explore!!!) and the c.l.l. folks
> will be really interested in your insights.  I think you and Erik will
> hit it off big time.

He's probably going to think you're talking about me, rather than Erik
Naggum :-).

/  \ He who conceals his disease cannot expect to be cured.
\__/  (an Ethiopian proverb)