Advice to a Junior in High School?

Afanasiy abelikov72 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 21:52:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:57:44 GMT, "Howard Nease" <hnease at midsouth.rr.com>
wrote:

>Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
>my future career path. Here is my situation:
>
>I am a bright Junior in a very well-respected private high school, taking
>almost all AP and accelerated classes. I am HIGHLY interested in technology,
>more specifically the field of Computer Science and software engineering. I
>have heard a whole lot about the fact that the market for software engineers
>nowadays is *HORRIBLE*, and that I should double major or perhaps go into a
>field of study in which I'm not very interested.
>
>I would be devastated were I to find the need to leave computer science. I
>love the subject, and I've wanted to be a computer scientist ever since I
>was 12 years old.
>
>Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
>college? Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
>finding a decent-paying job in compsci? What languages do you suggest that I
>study (I'm already studying Python)?

I would make sure to consider a field, in a non-computer science, which
allows/requires you to use your interest/skills in computer programming.

I believe I chose the right words, so read them carefully. I don't think
that leaves any questions of me. Your decision should be your decision.

Languages...

Whatever appeals to you, but that probably depends on what you want to do.