What's better about Ruby than Python?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 18 22:16:19 EDT 2003

Pedro Werneck:
> Well... I think you're overlooking the fact that you're not exactly
> _redefining_ the class. You're creating an entirely new class
> object and binding it to the same name, but the old class is still
> lying there,

I'm pretty sure he knows that and simply disagrees with that
design choice, suggesting that a class def should augment a
class if it already exists.

I wonder ... Alexander?  What should this do?

from Q import X

class X:
    def amethod(self): return 'ah, now THIS is better!'

Should it refine the X in the local namespace or make a new
class?

I have wondered if

def X.amethod(self): return "...."

should be allowed, but no longer think it should.

OTOH, a proper reload, which updated all instance's __class__
to the newly reloaded class, would be nice.  I've stumbled
over that many a time.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com