python and webcam??

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Aug 29 09:35:39 EDT 2003

Mirco wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to know if is it possible to make python communicate with a
> webcam. Of course, I think it is possible... but I don't know if there
> is a specific module for this kind of work. Can anyone give me a council?

Depends a lot on the type of webcam, but in any case it's a pretty
safe bet that (a) it's possible, and (b) there is no *specific* module
for the task.

That said, there are things like PIL which could be of use in this area,
and at least one specific webcam package (probably using calldll to get
to the library for the device) that has been posted in the past.

-Peter