What's TOTALLY COMPELLING about Ruby over Python?

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Thu Aug 21 14:32:00 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>
> [an excellent, lengthy article contrasting Python and Ruby]
>
> Article saved permanently.  This is the only good thing to
> come out of this thread so far.  Thanks Jeffrey!

I agree.  It would have taken weeks for me to figure out all of that on
my own.  Get that great article posted in your weblog.

I'll note that "foo.sort" vs. "foo.sort!" issue is a very big deal for
some people.  Being able to reliably distinguish between mutating and
non-mutating operations creates opportunities for transparent
parallelization.  If you have some time, check out Kenton "Temporal"
Varda's comment:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=75478&cid=6749469

and the programming language he's working on:

http://www.evlan.org/concepts.php

Shane